Monday 28 January 2013

The Learning Tree


The 'learning tree' is a concept I was introduced to by one of my lecturers. It can be used either in the form of a classroom display, or as an activity children carry out independently. It is a good strategy to use when introducing a topic, particularly within the foundation subjects. 

The idea behind it is that the roots of the tree symbolise the skills needed for learning and the main part of the tree illustrates the potential learning that will take place. This allows children to have the opportunity to take control of their own learning. They will be able to hang or write onto the 'learning tree' the skills they believe they need for subject and things they find out from studying the new topic.  

I personally have not seen this used in school, so I would be delighted to hear from you if you was to use it as I believe it has huge potential!

Ben :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment